Saturday, March 21, 2009

Bloom


This week my parents left on a long trip. They're going to spend 3 weeks touring northern Africa & some of the safer corners of the Middle East - aka "The Holy Land". This is the trip of a lifetime for them. See, my father used to be a Christian minister & my mother was very involved in the church as well. By the time I was born my father was no longer a full time minister, but both of my parents had large roles in the church. Dad taught adult Bible study, Mom taught Sunday school, Dad gave the sermon when the minister was away, Mom ran the youth group, things like that. We were at church every Sunday and every Wednesday. It was a major part of our lives. So you can imagine why this trip is such a thrilling experience for them.

In addition to all the other balls my mom juggled in my youth, she was a songwriter. Specifically, Mom wrote contemporary Christian songs (and pretty good ones if you ask me). She had a friend named David who was also a songwriter. Sometimes we'd go to his house where I'd play with his daughter, Summer, while Mom and David would play their guitars together. After writing for other artists (I believe Amy Grant recorded one of his songs), David made an album of his own. I can only remember a handful of the songs that were on that recording, but one that sticks out in my mind is called "Bloom Where You're Planted".

I've been thinking about that song a lot. See, last week I was given a great opportunity. A kind soul called me & offered me a part in a play. Yes, really! I haven't performed on-stage since November 2005, believe it or not, so I was shocked & thrilled. There was a wee problem, though: the show was in Tulsa. If I took the role, I'd have one week to learn my lines before I flew in for tech week. Then I'd spend 2 weeks performing in the play. Even so, I was VERY VERY tempted. But for some reason, I was hesitant, too. I've been in a good mindset lately. I've been getting out a bit more, seeing more shows, getting more involved in this community bit by bit. If I went back to Tulsa for this show, I knew it would kill my momentum. Sure, it could be fun for a while, but then I'd come back to NC. And I'd crash. HARD. Harder than any other time I've returned here after a trip to OK. I couldn't do that to myself. I need to teach myself once and for all that there IS life outside of Tulsa - and not just any life, but MY life.

So I'm staying. And I'm not just going to sit on my ass & feel sorry for myself, either. I'm taking a cue from the trees (and David. I'm going to bloom right where I am. I've made a commitment to get out in the next few weeks & take advantage of some of the things that make North Carolina special. I'm really looking forward to it, too. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: