Friday, January 19, 2007

Winter (Here and elsewhere)


Yesterday morning we awoke to find that winter had finally visited our neighborhood. Hooray! Our first snow at our new place! It was so nice to see the white stuff clinging to the tall pines that surround the house. I gotta say, though ... after all the snow that the rest of the country has gotten, I kinda feel like we're the lame kids who jumped onto a trend just as it has started to lose its hip edge. But unlike the rest of you, we have already managed to discard that oh-so-yesterday layer of snow and ice. A shame, too. I was enjoying it!

My family isn't enjoying this, though. My parents' house has been without power for a solid week now. My parents are staying with m mom's best friend (and my Other Mom), Helen. There is still a very solid, very thick layer of ice all over everything & more snow may fall in the Tulsa area this weekend. I'm sure they are positively SICK of winter now. But I must admit that I haven't had enough yet.

I may have another chance to experience winter because, in less than a week, I'm going to Seattle! I'm still kinda in shock that I'm going to be traveling to the other corner of the country, but I'm quite familiar with long flights, as my dear readers should know! What's funny is that I feel positively SURROUNDED by Seattle-related messages. I've seen 3 or 4 travel or food shows about Seattle in just the past week! I guess one could say that I have caved under the pressure of the Seattle Tourism Bureau. But I think we all know what has really drawn me to the Pacific Northwest; It'll be so fun to see Derek & george & the cats! And as a bonus, we'll get to go all sorts of places and see new things. We may even run up to Canada just for the hell of it! Hooray!

Random Seattle-related links I'm investigating:
Urban Spoon Seattle: Restaurant info!
Chowhound's Pacific Northwest board: More food-related stuff. A gal has got to have priorities.
Bremerton, WA : One of my on-line friends lives here
Daiso: A chain that carries cheap, cheerful Japanese stuff. I thought george might enjoy it.
Seattle Virtual Tour: Not as fun as being with us, but whaddayagonnado? ;)

No comments: