Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I am blind. And clueless.

I have very poor eye sight. If I want to read a book without the aid of vision correcting apparel, I have to hold the book within 2 inches of my eyes. That is not an exageration. Since I usually wear contacts, my horrible vision is not a big issue most of the time. But I've been wearing my glasses lately. And if I misplace my glasses, I'm in trouble.

For example. The other day I took a shower. While I was drying off afterwards, I realized that I could not find my glasses. I felt around on the seat and the little shelf in the shower. Nothing. I felt around among the detritus on the countertop. Nothing. I felt the top of the toilet tank and I felt around the edge of the bathtub and I even felt along the towel bar next to the shower. Nothing. So I walked to the top of the stairs and called down for help.
"Tim? Honey, can you help me? I can't find my glasses."
Dutifully, he appeared at the foot of the stairs, so I explained the situation as he walked up.
"I felt all over the place, but I just can't find them. I'm pretty sure they aren't in the shower, but-"
And at this moment, my husband reached the top of the stairs. And he reached out towards my face. And he plucked my glasses off the top of my head. And handed them to me.
I could see the grin on his face quite well even without the glasses.

2 comments:

derek said...

i totally understand... those of us in the "almost blind" category have to use the same tricks as the completely blind: habits. My glasses ALWAYS go in the same place every time i take them off. i'm actually not all that blind. I can read 1 inch type at about 12-15 feet, but my biggest problem is light/dark changes. in the dark, i can see almost nothing - i literally can't make out facial features beyond 1 or 2 feet. i don't think george knows how little i can see when i go from light to dark. the coolest thing is how you learn to cope with vision problems. i remember right before i got glasses for the first time, i could tell my friends apart from 100 feet or more - purely by their walk. habits, girl. HABITS :)

lizgwiz said...

Bwahhh!!! That is too funny. I've always had perfect vision, until, almost the very day of my most recent birthday, I had to begin using reading glasses occasionally. I bought 3 pair, so I can keep them everywhere and not have to try and keep track of them.