Monday, February 18, 2008

Because it's the view from the street ... get it?

Yesterday I got a phone call from Veronica.
V: "What color is your house?"
Me: "It's, uh, kinda a creamy yellow?"
V: "Okay ..." pause "You live on a cul-de-sac?"
Me: "Yeeaaaaah ..."
I was a tad confused at first, but then I realized that V was looking up my house on Google StreetView.

Yup, that's right, kiddos. We've hit the big time. Last summer legions of camera-bedecked cars were wandering our streets. Now the fruit of their labor is available for all to see. Our town is now on Google StreetView. And if that isn't cool enough, V & Travis' house is on StreetView, too. So V and I had fun looking up one another's homes & saying, "I can see your house! Oh my god! That's so cool!" and blahblahblah.

V and I will both warn you, though, that StreetView is seriously flawed. When you put in V's address, it drops you in front of a house on the opposite side of the street and many doors down from their actual house. Ask StreetView to show you my house & you get dumped in the middle of an intersection. But with a little guidance (via cell phone in our case), you, too, may look at poor-quality photographs of the homes of loved ones and strangers. Hooray! Ain't technology grand?

PS: I would post the StreetView pic of our house, but I can't figure out how to copy the image. Damn you, Adobe!

PPS: My friend Laura & her family move away on Thursday! How fast was that?!? I held a going-away party for her last night. Mmmmm ... mohitos ...

PPPS: We put in an application for Millie the cat. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

lizgwiz said...

You WILL get Millie. I am sending powerful adoption vibes in the direction of the agency. :)