Wednesday, June 03, 2009

OBX with the fam - part 4


Yes, I have more photos to share from the beach. This time I thought I'd feature the wildlife ... some of it a little more wild than others.

A real live starfish! Cassie touched it and everything.


I guess this is some species of gull? Maybe? It was a lot bigger than most of the birds on the beach.


Numerous times a day, a line of pelicans flew low right by the house. Dad called it Pelican Patrol. Unfortunately, my timing was terrible when it came to the pelicans. They always seemed to fly by just as I shut off my camera! This is the best pic I could snag of Pelican Patrol. Hope you had better luck, Dad.


This dog is named Honey. She likes to wear hats.


Crabs on the beach at night. Note that each one of these is bigger than your hand.


Crabs found in our pool during the day. Yes, in the pool! Five of them!


Run away, little crab. Run far, far away!


One afternoon we hired a guy who drives a monster bus - yes, you read that right - to take us to see the wild horses. There are no proper roads up there, so only 4x4 vehicles that can handle the sand are allowed.






The horses are allowed to roam freely in this 12-mile stretch of the island. There may be no roads, but there are still plenty of houses.


Monster bus! Woo!

2 comments:

lizgwiz said...

I don't think that crabs run. They "scuttle." "Scuttle, little crab, scuttle away!" Hee.

Mary said...

Run, scuttle, whatever works! As long as they're nowhere near my toes, I'm happy.