Monday, July 07, 2008

Good Riddance Day

So another July arrived which means that I got to spend another Independence Day with Tim ... or "Good Riddance Day" as he likes to call it. Again we did not go out to see fireworks, but there were none to be seen because it rained BUCKETS here on July 4th. And the 5th. And the 6th. And we're expecting more rain every day this week. We've lost power numerous times. The good news, though, is that we were entering severe drought conditions again, so I'm hopinghopinghoping that all of this rain means that we're out of danger. I don't want to go back to the days when I felt guilty for making pasta for dinner. Salvaging pasta water in order to water your plants is not fun, peeps. Believe me.

But enough of that. The truth is that a terrible thing happened on July 4th. There was a death in the family. Specifically, the death of my laptop. My constant companion is no more. His name was Hamilton. Did I ever tell you that? Anyway. Hamilton has passed on. Tim did all he could to save my laptop. He worked for hours and hours, to no avail. I suppose Hamilton declared his own independence and shuffled off to Computer Heaven, free from viruses and driver errors forever and ever.

Sigh.

But this may be a good thing. This is my 4th day without Hamilton and I am now more and more aware of how dependent I was upon ol' Hammy. His heavy weight has pinned me to the couch for far more hours than I care to admit. His passing has allowed me a certain degree of freedom.

All that being said, when I think of my lost laptop, the first words to spring to mind certainly are not "Good Riddance". It was a good thing to have (when used in moderation). So frankly, even though the risk of addiction is still there, I need a new laptop. If Tim and I have to share his computer for much longer, we will be reduced to crazed animals, growling and gnashish our teeth at one another. We wouldn't want that. So. Let the research begin! And if you have any suggestions, PLEASE pass them along.

2 comments:

In The Kitchen With AUdrey said...

sorry to hear about your loss. i understand how it can feel. joshua has taken to leaving his computer at the office and i thought we were going to resort to blows last sunday when he would not let me have my computer back.

Mary said...

I feel for you, Kris. Tim and I are sharing pretty well so far (I play on-line while he's at work and give him free use of his 'puter all night). But even he knows this cannot last forever.

Last night he said, "If I buy you a new laptop, will that confirm that I am your Sugar Daddy? And therefore, if I buy you a MacBook I'll be your Mac Daddy?" Groooooooan!