Friday, July 25, 2008

Lull

Isn't it interesting how you can have days on end where nothing interesting happens, and then you suddenly fall into a 24 hour block that is chock full of delightful activity? That's been the story around here, hence the lack of posts in the past 2 weeks.

Last week was sooooooooo boring. The most exciting thing I did all week was move Millie's litter box from the guest bathroom to the laundry room. Luckily, Millie adapted to the change without incident. How thrilling.

Then came the glorious anniversary of the day when Tim got his driving license. He has now been a licensed driver in the states for 3 years which means our insurance rates have finally gone down. I know this news is boring as all get out to the average individual and, honestly, few things put me into a coma faster than reading sentences with words like "insurance rates" in them. But our bill was more than $100 cheaper this month than last month! And that's really something.

So yeah. Litter box. Insurance rates. These are the exciting components of my day-to-day life. So when I'm talking to my friends back home and they say that they envy me and my quiet little life, I should remind them of the reality of the situation.
Litter box.
Insurance rates.

It isn't all dull 'round here, though. This Wednesday I checked my schedule and discovered that my dance card was rather full for the evening. First of all, Tim and I met my friend Jackie and her husband David at a British Ex-Pat meet-up at our neighborhood pub. It was really nice to sit outside, eat hot wings, and chat about the things we miss back in England. I didn't have time to get too comfortable, though, because I had to be at Dana & Benni's house at 9pm to watch Project Runway. Yes, peeps, I finally found friends with satellite televsion who are willing to invite me over to enjoy our beloved PR. And my hosts are two of the funniest ladies to be found in town. After the show, Dana and I managed to stay awake chattering away until one o'clock in the morning! And we still weren't sick of eachother, so the 3 of us got together a mere 12 hours later to go to the state farmer's market.

Why the farmer's market? Well, Dana thought it was a crime that I had lived here for 2 whole years and had never been. This obviously needed to be rectified immediately. I tell you, I was kicking myself for leaving my camera at home. The state farmer's market is FABULOUS. It's in Raleigh and it is open every single day of the year. It's a great open air market where you can buy food of all sorts, all of which is grown/raised/caught in North Carolina. There was vendor after vendor after vendor selling every type of fresh produce imaginable (and giving out free samples, too). There were fresh flowers and herbs. There was goat cheese and meat. Fresh baked bread. And then there was the seafood restaurant. I had shrimp, catfish, home fries, hush puppies, and sweet tea. Good ol' fashioned cookin'. There's another restaurant there where they sell other southern favorites like biscuits and gravy. Oh my lands, the state farmers market is a glorious thing. I am definitely taking the fam there in September.

Now it's Friday & I expect another quiet weekend. That's okay. Sometimes a lull is a good thing. It makes the fun days all that much more enjoyable.

4 comments:

In The Kitchen With AUdrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
In The Kitchen With AUdrey said...

i long for the days when paying bills and cat care was all i worried about. really. i want to be dull. i say that but then i always find something to do. my in-laws are here and they say the farmers market in durham is even better than the state one.

Mary said...

I hear the Durham FM can be fabulous on Saturdays, but I just can't get myself up and moving that early on the weekends. I'm pretty sloth-like by nature, but it's especially bad on the weekends.

georgeious said...

i can't get to the cherry st. one either because of it being on saturday morning. i like sleeping. i like being dull. i like having a boring life!