Sunday, May 21, 2006

It's a small world afterall

Tim chose to give up a lot of things to be with me. He sold his house. Left the country that had always been his home. Moved thousands of miles away from his friends and family. All to be with me. For this I am grateful. But sometimes I feel guilty. Sometimes I think about the things that he could enjoy in England that we just don't have here. Mushy peas. Decent Formula One coverage. And, of course, the Eurovision song contest.

But thanks to You Tube and the internet, all is not lost.

For those who don't know, the Eurovision Song Contest is the finest wedge o' cheese on television. Once a year, one musical act is selected from each European country. And at Eurovision, these musical acts compete. I read that 35 countries participated this year, so that's a hell of a lot of live music goin' on! People from all over Europe are invited to call in their votes and the winner is announced at the end of the program. Traditionally the musical genre of choice is pop. Imagine happy people bouncing around in white spandex & sparkles. There's also the occasional ballad. I think Celine Dion won Eurovision once. That's the sort of thing you see on there. It's horrificly painful ... in a good way if you're lucky

But this year was different. This year Finland took the prize. For the first time ever in the 51 year history of Eurovision. Should they be proud? You tell me.




[Warning: This song has an odd way of worming its way into your brain. Watch the first 20 or 30 seconds, but anything that happens to you beyond that is not my fault]

The band Lordi is composed of "Amen the unstoppable mummy, Enary the manipulative Valkyrie, Kalma the biker-zombie from hell, and Kita the alien manbeast with the combined strengths of all the beasts known to man". And lest we forget the main man himself, Lordi "the hulk of hell".

I think I found Derek's favorite new band.
Hard!
Rock!
Hallelujah!

4 comments:

The Forgotten Wonder Triplet said...

I watched the whole thing.

I will be singing it forever.

How can Celine Dion win when she's from Canada? I know Americans don't really consider Canada a part of North America, and not Europe, but it it is our neighbor to the north.

Mary said...

I was wondering the same thing. So I did some research. Seems that she sang for Switzerland in 1988.

Switzerland! What the hell?! Celine ain't Swiss!

In my shock, I asked Tim for an explanation. Because he's smart and he grew up with Eurovision and he should know this shit, right? Well, he informed me that Olivia Newton John sang at Eurovision for the UK (in 1974, for the curious amongst us).
Wha...?!
Why?! How is this possible?! Tim's explanation consisted of some ramblings about the great mysteries of life and how not everything has to make sense and blahblahblah. Whatever.

It is important to note that the year that Ol Newtie performed, she was competing against Abba, who performed "Waterloo". Abba beat her ass, of course. So there is some justice in the world.

georgeious said...

doesn't anyone here have a brain? celine dion doesn't know she's a canadien, she thinks she's some french girl. bonjour, je m'appelle celine dion. je suis magnifique, n'est pas? hwarf. yes, celine we know, you fucking stick figure.

ONJ v. ABBA - hmmm, now that's a tough one overall. still gotta go with waterloo though.

i love you for giving me eurovision in my life after i'd heard about it all this time. i need this much utter crap to make me happy.

you craplete me.

derek said...

ummm... you also mentioned 35 countries competing this year... are there 35 countries in europe?

i thought there were 5 - spain france, germany, great britain and the ottoman empire (where all furniture comes from)