Sunday, July 22, 2007

Happy National Harry-Potter-Reading Weekend!

Yesterday evening I got a text message from Corey.
"And now I can sleep," it said.
This meant that he had finished the final Harry Potter book. The man had apparently chosen to stay up all night and read the book in one fell swoop.

Oddly enough, he is not the only person I know who chose this path. I have a lot of on-line friends who stocked up on caffeine-infused foods and beverages on Friday in preparation for the book's release & the long night of reading that awaited them. Ever head of "disco naps" - the naps that people take on Friday or Saturday evenings before heading out for a long night of drinking and dancing? These people all chose to take brief naps but, of course, they chose a more sedentary way to wile away those late night hours.

But not me.

No, I have decided to savor this final installment. I am not cramming the words into my brain as fast as I can. Instead, I am lingering over paragraphs, taking breaks between chapters to bake or do some laundry. Or watch an F1 race.

(By the way, that race? Holy crapulence, peeps. I had to take some Tums halfway through the thing ... and I never have to take antacids.)

So anyway. Feel free to mock me for participating in Potter Mania, but I actually read the first book before it had garnered much attention and, so help me, I gotta see this through to the end. I'm thinking I'll be done with the book on Monday afternoon - 48 hours after everyone else on the planet. In the mean time, I'll be avoiding spoilers as best I can.

2 comments:

i suwannee said...

hi mary!! good to meet you!

The Forgotten Wonder Triplet said...

I read Harry Potter the same way Corey did, apparently, and for one good reason:
I knew that if I didn't, I couldn't get on the internets, because lurking around every corner, was someone who wanted to throw spoilers at me. And I wasn't going to let the terrorists win.
So, I got the book at 1:45am (thats when I finally got in the store, through the line, and out the door) and started reading it at 2:30am. I finished it at 11:15 am, which means I read it in 7ish hours. But now, that I can't be spoiled, I'm re-reading it, more slowly, and savoring the last of the Harry Potterness.

Also, you're yuppies, perhaps, but you're cool yuppies. and its never too late to put the combat boots back on!!!!!