Thursday, May 08, 2008

I scream

I assume that if you're reading this, you probably know me a little bit. And if you know me, you probably know that I am a worrier. Is it a personality trait? A hobby? A bad habit I just can't kick? Who knows, but it's part of what makes me so gloriously, wonderfully me. The thing I worry about most is money. And in the last few months, I've been worried more than usual. I won't list everything, but basically we had some unexpected bills and our savings took a hit. Thank goodness for tax refunds and tax rebates! With their help, we're almost back to normal (almost). But we still need to be careful. And I'm still worried.

But now on top of being worried, I feel guilty because I spent a HELL of a lot of cash this week. Why? Because I'm a masochist, of course. Here's what I bought & their approximate prices:
1. A necklace at the Handmade Market: $25
2. A new bathing suit. And not a cheap Target one. It's from Lands End, but I promise it's cute: $80
3. Plane tickets for Girl Party 2008: $300 (I paid extra for decent flights)
4. An ice cream maker with 2 freezing bowls: $60


Oddly enough, the thing I feel least guilty about is the ice cream maker - the thing that seems most silly and indulgent on that entire list. For this lack of guilt, I blame my mother. I was on the fence about buying the ice cream maker when Mom called me on Wednesday. Mom was overwhelmingly enthusiastic about the idea and her excitement was contagious. She even got on the internet to look at the model I was considering. "Did you see the video that shows how it works?!" she asked, excitedly. Then she pointed out that I could make Tim's favorite ice cream - cherry vanilla - which is very hard to find in stores. Eventually we decided that it was worth purchasing purely for experimental purposes. I would sacrifice myself & try out the machine, then let my mother know if I enjoyed it or not. If I was satisfied, then Mother could buy an ice cream maker of her very own without worry, knowing that her beloved daughter had test-driven the model and had been pleased with the results. This wouldn't be just any purchase. This would be an act of love ... love for my mother in the days before Mother's Day. How could I say no to that?

I talked to Mom before I went to the store. And Mom called me while I was driving the 2 miles to the store. And then I called Mom again once I got to the store to let her know that, yes, the advertised price on the website was the same as the in-store price. Because this was a very important mission, you see, and we needed to be in constant communication at all times so that we could share every little detail.

Bad mommy. She's such a terrible influence. But in the very best of ways.

1 comment:

georgeious said...

ice cream is important. didn't you know that? i am enamored with any vanilla bean (NOT country or french style, thank you), but blue belk's cherry vanilla is also MY favorite! but behold - i recently tried an overwhelmingly yummy blue bell flavor: CAKE BATTER. mmmmmmm...

go girl party 2008!

and when do we get to see photos of you in your new bathing suit and necklace? if you share your splendor, it won't seem like you spent as much.