Monday, May 05, 2008

What's in a name?

On Friday, my pseudo-sis, Ashlie, gave birth to her second child. His name is Jeremiah, but his big brother, Ge'Rae, calls him Nugget. Isn't that fabulous? I mean, that kid has a cool nickname and he isn't even a week old yet.

I have had a number of nicknames in my time - Smokey, Mare Bear, Horse Yes (long story), Dork Girl (thanks, Corey!), Pepper, Apple Pie (I'm Apple, right george?), etc. Honestly, I've had more nicknames than I can remember. I figured that everybody has had a nickname at some point in their life, but I found out recently that this is not the case for Tim. My husband has never had a nickname! How does this happen?! I guess it's because (1.) Tim is already a shortened form of Timothy and (2.) Tim is so easy to say. Just the one syllable. But it still seems wrong somehow.

So I'm thinking that Tim needs a nickname. But I am drawing a complete blank. Nicknames are usually inspired by something ... a silly story perhaps. Unfortunately, the only stories that are popping into my head about Tim are embarassing ones. And I'm not going to take the traditional British route (no "Jeeves" or "Crumpet" or anything like that, thanks).

The more I thought about this, though, the more I realized that I know very few guys who have nicknames. Does Derek have a nickname? Does my Dad have a nickname? Is this overwhelmingly a girl thing or something? Any opinions on this?

3 comments:

lizgwiz said...

I guess there are a few guys I know with nicknames. One friend calls a mutual friend of ours "MikeyJoeJimBob." I don't know why, but I always know who he means.

I call the too-soon-to-be-ex-guy "JamesBob Squarepants," but mostly behind his back. (Though he knows about it.)

And we used to call a mandolin-playing friend of ours "Mando-Boy."

georgeious said...

derek's nickname is stimpy, of course. you knew that, right? when i'm feeling pissy with him i like to call him mr. fussypants... when he deigns to put on pants.

i guess tim only gets a screen name so far. i've certainly never heard you call him sheff out loud.

i used to jokingly call batch (a nickname of his) mr. julie, but she is such a force of nature that who can blame me?

Mary said...

Liz, I like MikeyJoeJimBob. Something like that might be appropriate since, ya know, it would be such a surprising nickname for a guy like Tim. I love contradictions like that.

D'oh! Of course I knew that Derek is Stimpy. How did that slip my mind?! Where is my brain?!

I don't really consider "Sheff" to be a nickname - just a shortened version of his screen name. And I don't like mentioning his screen name in public because of the ol' annonymininity thingamy.

Other nicknames I have considered are "Tex" and "Makepea", based upon little stories from our life. He didn't seem to like those, though. Hmm. Someday he will do or say something wacky and inspiration will strike. Until then, we must wait.