Monday, April 27, 2009

34

Did I mention here that Friday was my birthday? I don't think I did. No matter. I was so focused on preparing for my big audition that I barely noticed it myself. I fiddled about with my headshot (Option 1) and had it printed at Walgreens. And I tried out a few outfits to determine what I would wear to the audition. And I studied my monologue and performed it numerous times for my cat. I also spent far too much time typing and editing my resume so that it would fit onto one page. Note: Word 2007 can bite me. No, actually it can't because biting me is too simple & obvious a task for such a convoluted, unnecessarily complex piece of software. Grr.

Amidst all of this fevered preparation, I had to make time to do one indulgent thing on my birthday. I had to go to the mall. Normally I don't spend my free time wandering about the mall. If I'm there, it's usually because I have a particular goal in mind. Friday's goal: go to the new Anthropologie store.

I know it doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside this store is a cornucopia of girly-girl happiness. When I heard that we were getting our own Anthropologie store just a few miles away from my house AND that it was opening on my birthday ... well, if that isn't a sign, I don't know what is. So I went & I bought a couple things - not because I need them, but simply because they made me happy. I got a mug ...

... and some porcelain, painted measuring spoons. They're decorated on the back, too.

Yes, I made an indulgent purchase, people. It really does happen.

Sometimes Tim makes indulgent purchases, too. In this case, he purchased some aquamarine earrings way back in December at my family's favorite jewelry store & kept them hidden until my birthday.

Isn't he a sweetie? And isn't he grateful that I don't go snooping through his things while he's at work? Yes and yes. By the by, taking a photo of one's own ear is much more difficult than I imagined. Give it a try sometime.

We finished off the night with Indian food, coconut cake, and some episodes of Veronica Mars. Nothing too special, but that's okay. I'm definitely going to take many opportunities to celebrate more over the next week. After all, it's not everyday that a gal discovers that she's lived longer than Jesus. Granted, he came back from the dead, blah blah blah. But unlike Christ, I survived my 33rd year on this planet without being tortured by my enemies & left to die. What more can a gal ask for?

2 comments:

lizgwiz said...

I didn't know measuring spoons could be so adorable.

Mary said...

Yeah, who knew? Of course, I'm not going to actually use them. I'll probably find a happy way to hang them in my kitchen. You know, the room where you keep your kitsch.