Thursday, April 23, 2009

Headshots!

Help! I need to pick a headshot! My audition for 4 (yes, 4!) theater companies is Saturday morning - just 48 hours from now - so I need to make a decision pretty quickly. What do you all think?

Option 1


Option 2


Option 3


I'm leaning towards option 1. These theater groups tend to do more contemporary pieces, so #1 suits what they're looking for best. The second one seems like it would work better for more mainstream theater - Neil Simon and musicals and such. As for the 3rd, the more I look at it, the more it looks like a portrait. Headshots should have a slightly different feel than portraits I think.

By the by, getting these shots was not as effortless as it may appear. There are now about 150 photos on my memory card of me trying to look subtly pleasant but not sullen. Or happy but not forced . Or sweet but not insipid. I'm lucky I found 3 that don't repulse me. My best strategy: pretend I'm watching the cat snooze in the sun which, conveniently enough, she was doing just a few feet away at the time.

Now if only I had Photoshop ...

4 comments:

lizgwiz said...

They're all good pictures, but I think you're right--#1 has a more "headshot" feel than the others.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes. :)

Mary said...

Thanks, Liz!

So far I've got two votes for #1, one vote for #2, and one vote for #3. However, the people who voted for #2 & #3 said that they'd like the 1st one more if I could crop it a bit - do something about that bit of arm on the left. I don't have a lot of wiggle room, but I'll see what I can do!

Anonymous said...

I know you didn't ask me but I was intrigued by your comment on Liz's blog. I like one as well. The 2nd one is fun but it makes me think of wacky comedies (The Importance of Being Earnest comes to mind).

Anyway, good luck!

Mary said...

GreenDuckiesGirl, no problem! You're perfectly welcome to stop by. I have the same feeling about #2. It's cute, but not what we're going for.

Thanks to everyone for your input! I got one more vote for #2 and 4 more votes for #1, so Option 1 was the winner. As Jennifer said, "It looks more actor-y".