Thursday, April 02, 2009

No foolin'



April 1st was a really good day around here. Here's a quick run-down - from the inane & the significant.

1. I finished our taxes! It took me over 3 hours, but they're finally done. And we're getting money back, which makes things all that much better.

2. The Project Runway legal battle is over! The season that recently finished filming will air on Lifetime this summer. Finally!

3. I got some fabulous boots. Actually, I've bought a lot of cute things lately. Maybe I'll feature them in another post.

4. Anybody have a great one-minute contemporary monologue? 'Cause I need one. Four area theater companies are holding joint auditions in a few weeks. The good news is that it's efficient: multiple opportunities, very little effort. However, if I screw up, then I screw up in front of FOUR artistic directors! Simultaneously! As a delightful bonus, I have never ever ever had to do an audition with a monologue. I've only done cold readings. So, yes, I'm scared, but I'm going anyway. My appointment is at 11:40am on Saturday, April 25th.

5. I don't talk about it much, but I've been on a health kick over the past 7 months. According to my scale, I hit my goal weight today. I am, frankly, in shock. I weigh less now than I did back when I went shopping for wedding dresses 5 years ago. Which reminds me ...

6. Today marks 4 years since Tim and I exchanged our wedding vows in front of friends and family. Aaaaaaaaw!

6 comments:

lizgwiz said...

Happy fake wedding-iversary. :)

We always had to do prepared monologues in college--it was supposed to get us ready for the "real world"...in which I have never once had to do a prepared monologue at an audition. Heh.

Are you going with comic, serious, or serio-comic? ;)

Mary said...

Thanks, Liz! I'm leaning towards serio-comic if possible. Have any ideas? I just wish I had copies of my old script with me. My monologue from "Search & Destroy" could be a good contender.

lizgwiz said...

I'll see if I can lay hands on my copy of Search and Destroy...I could type out the monologue for you, if I can find it.

lizgwiz said...

I couldn't find Search and Destroy, but I did find Vital Signs--were there any of those monologues you particularly liked?

Mary said...

Liz, you're glorious. Truly. Thank you SO SO much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I don't think "Vital Signs" will have anything because those pieces are too long. The companies are being really really strict about limiting our monologues to 1 minute. That's the hardest thing about this. I have found just one monologue that might work. It's from "Stop Kiss". It isn't amazing or anything, but it manages to tell a story, meets the time limit, & the character suits my age range. I'm still keeping my eyes open, though.

lizgwiz said...

Sixty seconds is tough!

Though a friend of mine in college had a monologue he actually used to audition that was even shorter:

"I am a painter.

All day long, I paint, paint, paint.

I HATE to paint, paint, paint!

See, what I really want to be is a shoe salesman--look, I know what you're saying. Dreamer! Get your head out of the clouds!

You know...the world should make a place for shoe salesmen."

Hee! If you ever need a 20-second monologue, there you have it. :)