Wednesday, April 26, 2006

31

Happy belated birthday to me! Monday was my birthday & I turned 31. I am officially in my 30s! So maybe that means that it's okay that I'll soon be living in an ultra cute house & that we'll be buying another car. It's good to act like an adult and do adult-y things when you're in your 30s. So rather than feeling freaked out by that number, I'm actually kinda comforted by it. So it's all good.

An up-date on the housing situation.
Saturday night, the owner of the house (Tricia) called us while we were at Target. She said she'd like us to meet her daughter. I was a bit stressed that there was an additional step to this whole process, but happy that we'd made the finals. On Sunday afternoon we met the daughter & her husband at the house at 1pm (which caused us to miss the F1 race, but it was worth it). The daughter, Andrea, is super cool. We really liked her and her husband, Jeff. We also met some of the neighbors and they all seemed great; very friendly, yet non-Stepford-y. Interestingly, Andrea said that she didn't know that anyone else had shown interest in the house over the past week. Hmmmm! Anyway, Tricia called on Monday morning. Tricia said her husband had called our references & it was all good. She said our old landlord had given us a positively glowing report & she was happy to let us have the house! We chatted about the flowers in the garden & such & I thanked her for trusting us with her home. Such a great birthday present!

As you can see, my birthday started out very well. I also got to talk with all of my immediate family members. And my family sent me flowers, too, which was very sweet. And I should mention that while I was chatting with Corey, I ventured up to the grocery store and did not get lost! After Tim got off of work, we went to the Sarah P. Duke Gardens at Duke University( http://www.hr.duke.edu/dukegardens/ ). Very pretty! Can't wait to take my parents there. We also went to Caffe Driade ( http://www.caffedriade.com/ ). Tim is a bit sniffy about their spelling, but the guy working there was super cool & wished me a happy birthday & made us some lovely cappucinos. After that we had dinner at a little Italian restaurant on Franklin Street.
And I drank wine.
Again.
This is the point where I tell you that I've been drinking wine almost nightly since I arrived in North Carolina. And before I got here, I went out drinking with people far more often than usual. I think that, on the night of my birthday, my body finally said, "Enough! You're not French, you know!" because I was sick most of the night. Either that or I'm stressed out (as Tim believes) or I may've caught a flu bug that's going around (as Mom suspects). Would you like to make your own diagnosis? Feel free. I'm open to suggestion.

Before retiring to the bathroom, however, I had a great phone call with george. We compared our neighborhoods by listing the cars parked outside. And she up-dated me on the cats. And we discussed the job sitch. The woman actually thinks she's being lazy because she hasn't started job hunting yet. Umm. She's only been in LA a week! But the more I see what's available on television, the more I sympathize with her desire to get out of the house. Just check out what's airing on TLC tonight.
8pm: I Am My Own Twin
9pm: 101 More Things Removed from the Human Body
10pm: The Man Whose Arms Exploded

101 more things?! Eep!

2 comments:

derek said...

Happy Birthday! It's your birthday! Lalalalalaa....

instructables.com was cool! also check out www.makezine.com - it would make macgyver proud.

derek

georgeious said...

okay, i so i don't think it was stress OR the flu. just plain and simple guilt. that's right, toots. you've never had a partying stage in your life, so you have nothing to compare all of this against. therefore, you assume you're out of control for being a crazy girl and having some extra alcohol FOR ONCE. "now what ahhh would dooo" is to have a glass of wine and fuhgettabouudit.

i am my own twin totaly rocks. i loved that show!