Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The first official post (because the test doesn't count)

So! This is the post in which I say "Welcome to my blog!" and all of that. I feel as though I'm supposed to mention the purpose/goal of this thing, but that makes me feel as though I'm writing a term paper & I need to come up with a thesis statement. Which makes me nervous. So I won't be doing that. Instead, I'll just jump in and try to pretend I've been doing this for a while.

I have now been in North Carolina for [checks watch] 40 hours! Fancy that. It looks very nice around here. Trees! Tall pine trees! All over the place! After living on the plains, all of these trees are making me feel slightly claustrophobic. I'm accustomed to seeing buildings and landmarks from miles away. No more. Too many trees. But they're pretty trees! Very nice. Not knocking the trees. Honest.

But today I'm not thinking a lot about what is here. Instead, I'm thinking about what I'm missing back at home in Tulsa. Today is my Mom's birthday and I'm missing it. I don't get to go out to dinner with the family. I don't get to watch Mom get misty-eyed as she reads the perfect card my brother selected for her (my brother always picks the sweetest cards ever). And later this week I don't get to take her to Kokoa (http://www.kokoachocolatier.com/) for a special girls-only chocolate outing. It's difficult. The only thing that helps is knowing how supportive my mom has been through the move. Instead of making me feel guilty about moving so far away, she has only been warm and encouraging. She only mentions the positive aspects of the move & has really helped lift my spirits when they've drifted downward.

Speaking of which, my phone just rang. And it's Mom.

2 comments:

Cool Water William said...

You are going to love blogging! It's a good way to express, vent and scream and expose your views to complete strangers!

georgeious said...

you're here! you're here!

can't wait to hear about your travels in the new joint, both in the sights and the traumas. we can compare really big trees. i'll be calling you when we go out for coffee and look at trashy magazines.