Monday, February 05, 2007

Sunshine in a bowl

In an effort to bring a little sunshine into Liz's life, I'm going to post the easy recipe for the icing I put on the elopiversary cupcakes. Note that I am not usually a big fan of icing because sometimes it's so sugary it's crunchy. And that ain't right. But this stuff is smooth and rich and happy. The touch of orange makes it especially delightful.

This recipe comes from the brilliant minds at America's Test Kitchens & Cooks Illustrated. According to the recipe, this is enough for 24 cupcakes. I halved the recipe, but you can do whatever will get you through the week.

ORANGE & CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
8 oz cream cheese, softened
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp grated orange zest (probaby 2 oranges worth)
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar

Put everything except the powdered sugar in a bowl or food processor. Blend. Add the powdered sugar & blend some more. Spread on top of cupcakes or eat straight out of the bowl like a decadent slob.

2 comments:

lizgwiz said...

My god, that sounds good.

Mary said...

It's amaaaaaaazing. Trust me. Next time I won't waste time with the cupcakes; I'll just make the icing!