Thursday, September 03, 2009

Durham Farmers' Market


Last night the Travel Channel aired an episode of "Man vs Food" that took place in Durham. It only mentioned a few restaurants - none of them particularly noteworthy in my opinion - but amongst the shots of the DoughMan competition, I believe I spotted some shots of the Durham Farmers' Market. Since the farmers' market is on the same block at the Scrap Exchange, it's only right that we wander on down there and take a peek!



My pics were taken on a Wednesday when the market is relatively quiet (probably 15 vendors). My friend John recently went on a Saturday when it was packed with at least twice as many booths.


What I love about the Durham market is that every single thing sold there is grown or raised within 70 miles of the market, so you know you're helping local farmers. Veggies, eggs, meat, etc., it's all local. There's even a booth where you can buy whole wheat flour ground from locally grown wheat. I should buy some of that next time.


Go here to see more of John's pics.

Next to the booth area is the Garden of Eatin'!

Get it? Eden? Eatin'? ANYway ... It's a permanent garden full of fruit trees and herbs and flowers and such. It's a great place to waste time while you're waiting for the booths to open.

Young blueberries still on the bush.


An honest to goodness paw paw tree! Makes me think of that song from "The Jungle Book"

No comments: