Wednesday, September 02, 2009

The Scrap Exchange



Welcome to Day 2 of Clean-Out-the-Memory-Card Month! Hmm. That's not quite catchy enough. Perhaps just Memory Card Month? What do you think?

This morning I was looking through the pics on my newest memory card & I got nervous. I don't know if I can stretch this out for 30 days. It isn't that I don't have 30 pics to show you! I definitely have more than that. It's just that I hate breaking them up into just one or two images a day. Some days when I have the time I will definitely have to post more.

Today is one of those days.



All of today's pics come from The Scrap Exchange, a "non-profit creative re-use station" located in downtown Durham. This place is hard to describe. The basic idea is that they save stuff that would normally end up in landfills & encourage people to use it to make art! You can find all kinds of stuff there ... some of it more familiar than others.



There's even a lot of practical stuff like fabric, glass bottles, picture frames, and floor tiles. I was very tempted to snatch up some of these spools of serger thread.

Forgive the blurriness. Forgive, I say!

The warehouse is kinda dark and dusty (and REALLY difficult to photograph), but worth the effort. My favorite part? The little touches added by the staff.






I probably should have taken george here when she was visiting back in January, but for some reason it slipped my mind. Next time, g. Next time.

2 comments:

georgeious said...

this is totally on my next time list for durham. i've been on their website and the place looks super awesome. maybe i should start one here!

Mary said...

I've heard that other towns have places like this - usually with words like "Junk-tion" in the name. It would a cool thing to have in Tulsa!